USA vs Italy Preview
This will be a very difficult test for Jurgen Klinsmann and the US Men’s National Team, arguably the most challenging opponent the national team has faced since Klinsmann took the job. Despite losing (0-1) to a very strong Uruguay side in November, Italy is coming off a solid performance in their Euro 2012 qualifiers. In their four qualifying game Italy went undefeated (one tie) and only allowed one goal.
Not having Landon Donovan, Jose Francisco Torres and Timmy Chandler healthy enough to play in this friendly is a big loss and represents three starters that need to be replaced. Below I will make my prediction on who Klinsmann will start and then share a formation of who I think he should start.
Shea Dempsey Williams
Johnson Bocanegra Goodson Cherundolo
- JK has used Dempsey as the #10 previously
- Danny Williams has only be used on the flank
- If Chandler were not injured he would be playing LB. Fabian Johnson is sometimes used by Hoffenheim in the back and in the open practices in Genona Johnson has been used at LB.
Who Klinsmann Should Start:
Shea Johnson Dempsey
Parkhurst Bocanegra Goodson Cherundolo
- Fabian Johnson looked great in an attacking role in his first two caps with the USMNT. He could provide some creativity and pace in a group of center mids that lacks a a true CAM.
- Danny Williams plays as a center back and defensive center mid for Hoffenheim. I think he deserves a shot in a position that he is more accustomed to playing.
- Parkhurst actually plays more as an outside defender for his club team than he does in the middle.
I was really looking forward to seeing both Donovan and Dempsey on the field together, especially because both are playing so well at the moment. With the both of them on the field I think we would have been able to put some legitimate pressure on the Italians. With that said I think it will be very tough to crack the Italian defense and it is only my hope that we can put together a respectable performance. If we at least scored a goal I would be ecstatic, but I doubt it.
Italy 2 - USA 0